“当你第一次尝试种植新鲜香草时, I recommend you begin by trying to grow from seedling or transplants rather than planting your own seeds. These great little starter plants are widely available for the same price as a packet of fresh herbs from the produce section.” ~ Skinnygourmet.blopspot.com
我们都有，花园里那些丑陋的光秃秃的地方. 每次你去花园，它们几乎都会对你尖叫. Sometimes you can’t decide what to plant or you don’t have the finances to splurge on mature plants. 也许你新建了一个花园，但还不完整. 草本植物和一年生种子包是解决这种困境的宝贵工具. They, also, offer the opportunity to experiment with various color and textural schemes.
种子很便宜，提供了大量的选择. 大多数包装含有大量的种子，相对容易种植. 选择种子时，请阅读标签. 它会给你成功所需的所有信息. Just because it’s in stock at your favorite store doesn’t mean it will grow in your location. First, find the zone in which you live and choose only those designated to grow successfully.
接下来，观察这些区域的太阳和阴影模式，并记录下来. Then take photographs of the areas you need to fill and take them with you on your shopping expedition. Determine the size of the space you need to fill and compare that with the mature plant size stated on the packet. Think about whether or not your plants will receive enough sun or shade and water. Evaluate your existing watering method because it may not be enough or too much to produce healthy plants. An existing flower bed should already have sufficient compost; however, 新挖的区域可能需要修改. 不管是新床还是旧床, you should till/dig the top six inches so the tender new roots won’t struggle to grow. Follow the instructions on the packet as to depth and spacing to plant your seeds then water in gently.
草药是用作调味剂的植物. 烹饪中常用的药草被称为烹饪药草. Mild or savory herbs impart a delicate flavor to food while the stronger or pungent herbs add zest to foods. These herbs are attractive and varied so their ornamental value is also important.
草本植物的观赏价值使它们可以用于花坛, 边界, 岩石花园, 或角落种植. 有些草本植物是一年生的，有些则是多年生的或年复一年生长的. 你可以在你的一年生花园或菜园里找到一年生草本植物. The perennial herbs should be located at the side of the garden where they won’t interfere with next year’s soil preparation.
照顾药草花园将类似于你的蔬菜或花卉花园. 选择一个阳光充足，排水良好的地方. 以每100平方英尺2磅的速度施用缓释肥料.
在干旱时期，水是必要的. Generally, you need about one inch of water per week, if not supplied by natural rainfall. 覆盖物将有助于保持土壤水分，并减少杂草生长. 薄荷喜欢潮湿的土壤，所以需要更频繁的浇水.
Annual and biennial herbs can be established by planting the seed directly in the garden or starting seeds indoors for later transplanting to the garden. You can save seed produced by the herb plants for next year’s crop or obtain seed from your local garden center or seed catalog.
To save your own seed, harvest the entire seed head after it has dried on the plant. The seeds should then be allowed to dry in a protected location that is cool and dry. After the seeds are thoroughly dry, thresh the seed from the seed heads and discard the trash. 储存在有标签的罐子里，在黑暗，凉爽，干燥的地方.
Some herb seeds such as dill, anise, caraway, or coriander can be used for flavorings.
多年生草本植物可通过扦插或分裂繁殖. 在早春每3到4年分一次植株. 这些植物应该挖出来并切成几段. You can also cut 4 to 6 inch sections of the stem and root these by placing the cuttings in moist sand in a shady area. 4 - 8周后，这些插枝就会生根. 像鼠尾草，冬香和百里香等草本植物可以通过扦插繁殖. Chives, lovage, and 龙蒿 can be propagated by division of the roots or crowns.
Leaves of many herbs such as parsley and chives can be harvested for fresh seasonings. 在这些植物上，你可以根据需要逐渐去除一些叶子. 不要一次把所有的叶子都拔掉. 如果照顾得好，这些植物可以长时间生长.
迷迭香和百里香，在植物盛开时剪掉顶部. 通常，叶子和花一起收获. 罗勒, 茴香, 薄荷, 圣人, 夏天的美味, 甜蜜的墨角兰, 龙蒿, 冬天的咸菜是在植物开始开花之前收获的.
After harvesting, hang the herbs in loosely tied bundles in a well-ventilated room. 您也可以在屏幕、粗棉布或硬棉布上展开树枝. 对于只需要叶子的草本植物，叶子可以铺在扁平的托盘上. Keep dust off the herbs by a cloth or similar protective cover that will allow moisture to pass through.
Many of the herbs we grow today are from the Mediterranean region of the world and thus hot, 干燥的夏季天气对他们非常适合. All too often gardeners lose herbs because they don’t have good enough drainage (they really do best in a raised bed) or because they don’t have them in the right exposure. 最需要阳光. 薄荷和一些其他草本植物在阴凉处或部分阴凉处生长良好.
Following is a list and description of some commonly used, adapted herbs for this area:
- 罗勒 -这是所有草药中最容易种植的一种. It is a rather strong herb, but one that is delightful when chopped fine and mixed with butter. In addition to the standard green forms, there’s a purpleleafed basil and a lemon-scented basil. 巴兹尔非常柔软，所以霜冻的第一个迹象就是它会消失.
- 甘菊 -这种草药是所有草药茶中最好的一种. 有两种类型. 英语和德语甘菊. 这两种植物的干花都可以用来泡茶. 你需要试验你想要的用量, but try pouring boiling water over about one tablespoon for each cup desired and then filter this through a tea strainer after it has steeped for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- 猫薄荷 -是一种很有趣的草本植物，尤其是养猫的时候. 猫喜欢在猫薄荷和周围的植物上打滚, 所以你可能会发现最好把这种药草种在吊篮里. 虽然它有时被用来泡热茶, 猫薄荷的主要特性似乎只有猫才知道.
- 紫草科植物 – Comfrey is a rank-growing herb with large “donkey-ear” leaves that remind one of green sandpaper. 它被宣传为高蛋白和极好的食物, 但不幸的是, 很难找到一个合适的方式吃它. 它被广泛用于茶叶或树根泡茶.
- 柠檬香油 -是薄荷家族的成员，它可以是一个非常秩生长的植物. The leaves have a strong lemon odor and make a delightful tea or they can be used to flavor regular teas. 因为它极具活力, 最好将这种植物种植在密闭的床区或容器中.
- 马郁兰和牛至 – These herbs are quite similar, although marjoram is considered the milder of the two. 它们都很容易种植，而且一年四季都可以使用. 除了在极端的冬天, they look better in the fall and winter than in mid-summer when the growth begins to slow. Oregano is the familiar herb in pizzas and one plant would make a lot of pizzas.
- 薄荷糖 -有很多薄荷糖. 绿薄荷是最受欢迎和最容易种植的一种. 薄荷比较难种植. 有菠萝薄荷, 一个苹果薄荷, an orange 薄荷 (this is so vigorous it soon becomes a weed) and many variations of these basic fragrances. 所有的薄荷都喜欢潮湿，在午后荫凉的地方效果最好. 种绿薄荷的好地方是落水管的底部.
- 迷迭香 – Rosemary comes in many forms from a bush that grows up to four feet tall to a lowgrowing groundcover variety. The fragrance is rather strong but rosemary is typically used with many meat dishes, 特别是鸡. One good idea is to use a cut sprig of rosemary to dip into barbecue sauce and then brush it on chicken.
来自德州农业生命推广服务，德州A&M系统 The term Aggie Horticulture® and associated logos are registered trademarks of the 德克萨斯州的一个griLife Extension Service, 德克萨斯州的一个&M系统.